Categories for Buildings

Conyngham Hall Hotel, Knaresborough Bygone Days

In 1796 Ellen the Dowager Countess Conyngham purchased Coghill Hall with 51 acres of land from Sir John Coghill and changed the name of the estate to Conyngham House. Ellen was the widow of Henry Conyngham (Earl Conyngham of Mount Charles). Ellen was born in 1725 and married Henry in 1744. He died in 1781 […]

Royal Baths

A Chinese Restaurant is now inhabits the Royal Baths.

Hoopers

Hoopers Store on James Street, Harrogate.

Bettys Tea Rooms

Fritz Bützer was born in Switzerland in 1885 and in 1907 he came to England. As a chocolatier and confectioner he came to Harrogate and in 1912 he was invited by Farrah’s (the toffee people) to show how to make smart continental chocolates. Fritz changed his name to Frederick Belmont and on 17 July 1919 with three business partners, his first shop/cafe opened. Other business have since opened in York, Northallerton, Ilkey and recently at Harlow Carr. This photo was taken during lockdown.